The Pull List #78 - October 26, 2016

A weekly column in which Jake gives short blurbs about the comics he’s picked up that week. Reviewed in the order read, which varies but generally by increasing anticipation.   Disclaimer: he knows very little about art, at least not enough to considerably honor such tremendous undertakings, so…yeh, there’s that.






Batman Beyond #1

Writer: Dan Jurgens
Artist: Bernard Chang
Colorist: Marcelo Maiolo
Letters: Travis Lanham
DC

With Dana captured by the Jokerz, Terry heads to the heart of Jokerz Town (yep that’s the name) to find her.  But after being held captive by Spellbinder for so long (apparently that happened), is he still the Batman he once was?  Take this for what you will but BB #1 reads an awful lot like a #2, playing directly off the Rebirth issue with the barest hint of a set-up.  The dialogue is a bit hokey, but in Jurgens’ defense, Batman Beyond’s dialogue, like any good future-punk, was always hokey.  Chang’s lines provide excellent character work, but his choice in layouts is sometimes odd.  Maiolo's colors do a great job setting tone and mood.  This series should appeal to Batman Beyond fans looking for a new tale.



New Avengers #17

Writer: Al Ewing
Penciler: Paco Medina
Inker: Juan Vlasco
Color Artists: Jesus Aburtov w/ Dono Sanchez Almara
Letterer: VC’s Clayton Cowles
Marvel

In this penultimate issue, we get the conclusion to about sixteen plot threads and never does this issue feel crammed.  Ewing is some kind of comics wizard because almost every one of the numerous developments in the issue is wholly enjoyable and lands flawlessly.  The art similarly keeps in step with some surprising visuals in what could have been standard superhero fare.  New Avengers had a bit of a stumble at the start, but boy is it finishing strong.  



The Ultimates #12

Writer: Al Ewing
Artist: Christian Ward
Letterer: VC’s Joe Sabino
Marvel

Hey, remember a few weeks ago when Jake was pissed about Civil War II mucking up his books. Guesswhatitisbackmotherfuckerrrrrs!!!!!!!!!!!  Yeh, so this is the end of The Ultimates.  Why?  Civil War II.  Oh, why exactly?  Dunno but it definitely happened in Civil War II so I guess we have to buy that book cuz boy howdy to they sure talk about it a bunch in this issue, the finale of the year-long trippy-crazy-science book.  Yep, sure is great it was ended by an asinine event. For the record, I don’t blame Ewing has he does his best to make chicken salad outta chicken shit.  We mostly follow Captain Marvel, whose dealing with the fact that her character’s been assassinated thanks to CW2, which is actually okay because its mostly Carol going “I was an idiot and I’m sorry” to a bunch of people.  Also, Christian Ward is on art and while his pedestrian scenes are sort of that, his far-out sci-fi stuff continues to be amazing.  Mucked up finale to what was actually a fantastic series.  Still, at least we’re getting Ultimates2 (I don’t know how to do exponents on my computer, plz send help).



Ms. Marvel #12

Writer: G. Willow Wilson
Artist: Mirka Andolfo
Color Artist: Ian Herring
Letterer: VC’s Travis Lanham
Marvel

Both Kamala Khan and I are free from that CWII bullshit (I think), so Ms. Marvel’s going to her family’s home in Karachi to clear her head.  Wilson deals angst and charm in equally palatable measures and breathes life into a setting readers probably aren’t familiar with.  The only thing wrong with it (aside from being the usual Ms.-Marvel-Too-Sweet, but at this point that’s the series) is that it’s too short!  I would have loved a whole arc, or at least a mini-one, in this new locale with Kamala having to deal with her extended family and Karachi things.  Andolfo slides nicely into the niche carved out by other Ms. Marvel artists, providing excellent character expression and emotion, thanks in no small part to Ian Herring’s consistently beautiful colors.  A very lovely issue.  



Detective Comics #943

Writer: James Tynion IV
Penciller: Alvaro Martinez
Inks: Raul Fernandez
Colors: Brad Anderson
Letters: Marilyn Patrizio
DC

Skipping that whole Monster Men mess, The Bat Team and Gotham City are looking to rebuild after recent events.  However, the pain of loss and something far sinister seem to be getting in their way.  Tynion moves the plot along nicely while still providing wonderful character moments that are easily the highlight of the series.  Martinez’s layouts are truly interesting in both presentation and flow and his art, along with Fernandez’s inks and Anderson’s colors, make for a truly spectacular issue.  It’s a bright start to what should be another great arc for Detective Comics.  



BOOK OF THE WEEK (HONESTLY BY DEFAULT AT THIS POINT SO I GUESS ITS GOOD THAT THIS IS THE LAST ONE AND NOW I’M WONDERING IF CHARLIE WILL KEEP THIS IN ESPECIALLY SINCE I’M TURNING THE PL IN SO LATE. I MEAN I GUESS IF YOU’RE READING THIS YOU ALREADY KNOW HE DID OR IF HE DIDN’T. WELL I GUESS THIS MUCH, LIKE OUR LIVES, MEANT NOTHING)
Vision #12

Writer: Tom King
Artist: Gabriel Hernandez Walta
Color Artist: Jordie Bellaire
Letterer: VC’s Clayton Cowles
Marvel

I’m going to make a joke that I’m about to tweet out after I send this to Charlie, because I think it’s clever and I can only be clever once so I’ll just repeat the same cleverness because hack, remember?  Anyway, I can’t wait for this book’s hardcover to come out, because I want to put it on my coffee table.  That way, when people are in my house and idling around my living room because I’m making them wait or for whatever other droll purpose I can think at the time, they might pick this up and I’ll walk in after they’ve read the whole thing and I’ll catch them weeping with tears of awe and sorrow and I’ll have a social leg-up on them because I’ll have done that to them and they’ll know I’ve done that to them and I’ll know that they’ll know that I’ve done that to them and it will be a recurring circuit that just has me winning forever.  So, thanks in advance, Mr. King, Mr. Walta, Ms. Bellaire, and Mr. Cowles.  Thanks for such an amazing book that I will one day use for social machinations.  This will never fit 140 characters.



But wait, there’s more!
Also, since i made some grammatical corrections to it as proof, I kept the whole thing in, Jake.

CharlieDanger82 is helping out this week to cover some the new titles for DC Rebirth. Think of it like a backup story in your favorite book, just with less talented writing.






Writer: Dan Abnett
Art: Brett Booth, Norm Rapmund
Colors: Andrew Dalhouse
Letterer: Carlos M. Mangual
DC Comics

Okay, so the series borders on sappy. Friendship is mentioned so many times that you'd think they were going to bust into a roaring rendition of "We're all in this together" from High School Musical at any given moment. Kadabra holds all the cards: he's got all the Titans & Iris in death trap situations in all different cities and it's up to Wally to save them. As campy and sappy as the book can be, It's a great, positive book not caught up in being grim and gritty like everything else has to be. This book out of all the books is probably the best book I could recommend for younger readers. Of course I say that and all the Titans and Iris are prolly going to be vivisected next issue, but I'm hanging on to hope that Wally truly is the "Fastest man alive" .... Just like he's said about 100 times in the past 4 issues. Silly & campy, yes, but silly & campy with a great positive message that is missing from 90% of superhero books.



Writer: Simon Oliver
Art: Moritat
Colors: Moritat, Andre Szymanowicz
Letterer: Sal Cipriano
DC Comics

I like this book because right now it's a Constantine/Swamp Thing book without a crossover price tag or need to buy 2 books. While Constantine is trying to uncover who's after him, SW and Mercury are in the Rot looking for the missing Abby. It has enough weirdness to make it Hellblazer, but not as much weirdness as the old series, which, IMO, makes it a much easier and enjoyable read. still a great book.




So what did you pick up this week?
Agree or disagree with anything said here?
Let us know in the comments.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,